D. Hardison Wood
D. Hardison Wood is a North Carolina crashworthiness attorney who focuses his practice on products liability, professional negligence, and other complex personal injury litigation. Mr. Wood also represents small businesses; offering counsel on contracts, vendor disputes, partnership issues and more.
Mr. Wood was born and raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He graduated from St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland with a double major in philosophy and the history of mathematics and science. Mr. Wood earned his law degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York, New York. Upon returning to North Carolina, he founded the Law Office of D. Hardison Wood and is the firm’s sole shareholder.
Since passing the bar, Mr. Wood has spent a majority of his practice to representing injured victims of negligence. One of his very first cases out of law school was a 15-passenger van rollover involving fatalities and serious injuries. The case took years to bring to a successful conclusion against the van’s manufacturer, and it gave Mr. Wood deep insights into catastrophic injury litigation early on in his career.
Mr. Wood has achieved the highest attorney rating, “AV”, by Martindale-Hubbell, an independent legal services company whose peer-reviewed attorney ratings service is an objective indicator that an attorney has the highest ethical standards and professional ability.
Mr. Wood is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, whose membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Less than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members. He was also a recipient of the 2014 Litigator Award for Wrongful Death, received a Rue Ratings Best Attorney award and was named on the list of Super Lawyers 2015 Rising Stars.
From 2010 to 2011 Mr. Wood served as a member of the Board of Governors for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ) as well as the Chairman of that organization’s Products Liability section. He was appointed to this position again for the 2013-2014 term. He frequently is a guest speaker and lecturer at NCAJ sponsored CLE events and he remains active on the Membership Committee for the NCAJ.
The National Trial Lawyers organization has also honored Mr. Wood as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in 2014. The National Trial Lawyers organization is composed of premier trial lawyers from across the US. These lawyers show superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense trial lawyers.
Currently, Mr. Wood lives in Wake County with his wife and their children.
Publications & Speaking Engagements:
- Products Liability (Chapter 24) and Woodson Claims: Employer’s Intentional Tort Exeption to Exlusive Remedy Provisions of the Workers’ Compensation Act (Chapter 30), North Carolina Prima Facie Tort Manual, Sixth Edition (2014)
- Using Daubert as Sword and Shield: Expert Testimony Post-McGrady, NCAJ CLE (2014)
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury From Start to Finish, NBI CLE (2013)
- Recent Changes to Rule 702 of the North Carolina Rules of Evidence, NCAJ CLE (2012)
- Motorcycle Accidents and Products Liability, TRIAL BRIEFS, June Issue (2011)
- Emerging Defects in the Motor Vehicle Industry, TRIAL BRIEFS, June Issue (2011)
- Statute of Repose Update, NCAJ CLE (2010)
- Electronic Defects in Motor Vehicle Litigation, NCAJ Summer Convention (2010)
- Preemption & Motor Vehicle Defects, NCAJ Fall Convention (2009)
- Theories of Products Liability in Motorcycle Accidents, NYBA CLE (2009)
- Duty to Investigate: Ins & Outs of Ethics in Auto Torts, NCAJ CLE (2008)
- Ethics in Insurance Coverage Disputes, NBI CLE (2008)
- Measuring Value in Mediation, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 383 (2006)
Memberships & Accreditations:
- American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar (all NC state courts)
- United States District Court (Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of N.C.)
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- AV Peer Review Rated – Martindale Hubbell
- Proud Member of the National Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Member of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Tenth Judicial District