Adam Smith, a Board Certified Worker’s Compensation Specialist, has dedicated his career to litigating complicated legal matters, with particular emphasis on fighting for victims of serious personal injuries. Originally from Boston, Adam relocated to North Carolina in 1996 when he received the Garda scholarship to study political science at Duke University. He graduated cum laude from Duke with a B.A. in Political Science in 2000, and was inducted into the Pi Sigma Alpha honor society for achievement in political science. He received the W.B. McGuire scholarship to attend the Duke University School of Law, where he served on the editorial board of the Journal of Gender Law & Policy and received his Juris Doctor in 2003.
In 2012, the North Carolina State Bar recognized Adam as a Board Certified Specialist in Worker’s Compensation Law. He is presently one of only 135 Board Certified Worker’s Compensation Specialists in North Carolina, and is one of only 2 practicing in Cary.
Adam is a frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education courses across North Carolina. He has spoken on the Admissibility of Evidence in Personal Injury Lawsuits before the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers in Raleigh, North Carolina. His lecture was very well received and he was invited to author an accompanying article for TrialBriefs Magazine. In 2013, he presented at a seminar on Litigation Involving Battery Ingestion at the North Carolina Advocates for Justice’s annual Mountain Magic convention in Asheville. And in 2014, he will serve as a guest lecturer on Damages in Personal Injury Lawsuits before the National Business Institute, and will present on Bulletproofing Your Expert Witness from Daubert Attacks before the N.C. Advocates for Justice.
Adam has served as the Membership Chair of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice’s Product Liability section, and was recently elected Vice Chairman of the same section.
In his free time, Adam enjoys playing soccer and serves as Captain of a Triangle Adult Soccer League team sponsored by the firm: the Law Office of D. Hardison Wood’s Angry Pandas. He is the proud parent of a teenage daughter who attends Trinity Academy of Raleigh. She also enjoys playing soccer, and she is also a competitive Irish Dancer.
Adam is a covenant partner at the Umstead Park United Church of Christ, and spends time actively involved with his other church, Triangle Red Sox Nation.
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- Fourth Circuit, Court of Appeals
- NC Advocates for Justice
- Wake County Bar Association
- Board Certified by North Carolina State Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization
- Tenth District Judicial Bar
Publications & Speaking engagements:
- Featured Speaker Before the Eastern NC Chapter of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
- Author of “Evidence: Getting It In and Keeping It Out” for Trialbriefs Magazine
- Speaker Before North Carolina Advocates for Justice on Admissibility of Evidence in Civil Trials
- “Products Liability Claims, in Camouflage”, TRIAL BRIEFS, North Carolina Advocates for Justice Publication, (June 2011).